Airplane Etiquette and 8 Rejected Olympic Events
Ahh, airplane etiquette. Some days I think a debriefing should be included after the airline safety presentation. Common courtesy goes a long way in making the flight enjoyable for everyone. Having flown 20 times since June 1, I have compiled a list of events that won’t be added to the Olympics any time soon, despite what some passengers may think.
- Bag vs. Passenger Face Boxing: When boarding the plane, carry your purse/bag in front of you; not to the side, not overhead, not behind you. Stop hitting people in the face, in the shoulder, and in the ankles. No one likes it.
- Window Seat Vaulting:You have an aisle seat. They are at the window. When they want to sit down, unbuckle your seat belt and stand in the aisle. No one is skinny enough to maneuver the three inches of space available, nor agile enough to vault into place. Get up!
- Drink Cart Jousting: You have to pee. The flight attendants are serving drinks to 200 people. Let them finish and then use the bathroom. You can wait another 20 minutes and avoid royally inconveniencing them.
- Seat Back Climbing: When walking down the aisles or entering your row, avoid grabbing the seat backs. You likely just woke up someone who spent the last 30 minutes trying to fall asleep.
- Chair Luge: Just because your seat reclines, doesn’t mean it should!
- Armrest Wrestling: Let’s settle this once and for all. The person with the middle seat gets both armrests. If you are by the window, lean against the window. If you are in the aisle, you have the outside armrest and easy aisle access. Stop being greedy!
- Synchronized Standing: When the seatbelt sign turns off and you are in row 27, there is no need to stand. Relax for 15 minutes, you have time. If the guy across the aisle exits before you, it really is OK.
- 40m Aisle Dash Immediately After Landing: The people in the rows ahead of you have the right away. They exit first. Unless you have a connection in the next 20 minutes, wait your turn.
What events would you add? Comment below!