5 Fun Things to Do in Philadelphia
Rain or shine, Philadelphia can be a surprisingly fun town. Here are five fun things to do if you find yourself in the city of brotherly love:
1.Mural Mile Walking Tour: With over 3,000 murals covering building exteriors in Philadelphia, it is difficult not to pass several when doing anything in the city. However, organized themed tours make for a fun afternoon and add meaning to what you are seeing. The mural mile walking tour is free, self-led, and covers 17 gorgeous murals. I highly recommend it!
2. Reading Terminal Market: Foodies rejoice! At the Reading Terminal Market, you will find all the fresh produce, meats, seafood, baked goods, and poultry you could possibly want. Enjoy your next meal at the market and feast on soft pretzels, crepes, or a famous Tommy Dinic’s roast pork sandwich. Many say Dinic’s rivals the Philly cheese steak. After tasting it this past weekend, I’d have to agree!
3. Fairmount Park: Fairmount Park follows the Schuylkill River along Kelly and Martin Luther King Drives. The long paved pathways are great for running, biking, or walking. Watch the rowers as they practice or race on the river. Spring is welcomed by beautiful blooming cherry trees.
4. Magic Gardens: The Magic Gardens cover what seems like a full city block in mosaics, adding a whimsical touch to the entire area. Mosaic materials range from colored glass pieces, to bike wheels, to glass bottles, to coffee cups, to plates. The gardens add a whole new meaning to “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” Admission to the gardens costs $5, but you can get your fill of mosaics for free by just exploring the area.
5. Photo Ops:There is no shortage of fun places to take pictures and goof around in Philadelphia. Pretend to hold up giant dominoes in Municipal Plaza, run the steps of the Art Museum like Rocky Balboa, or grab three friends and spell out LOVE in John F. Kennedy plaza.
Additional photos from these locations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelingchicha/sets/72157629362583022/
- America’s Best Public Markets by Frommers
- Dinic’s on Man V. Food
- On Philly’s Walls, Murals Painted with Brotherly Love by NPR
What are your favorite things to do in Philadelphia? Comment below!